- Year: 1965
- Make: Airstream
- Model: Overlander
- Length: N/A
- Condition: Good
- Country: United States
- State or Province: Washington
- City: Olympia
- Zip/Postal Code: 98501
- Type of Sale: Private Seller (Individual)
- Listed: December 17, 2017 10:56 pm
- Expires: This ad has expired
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: lukebowerman
- Member Since: June 18, 2015
Other items listed by lukebowerman
- No other ads by this poster found.
This 26′ 1965 Airstream has been gutted down to the frame and structurally rebuilt to be a self-sustained off-grid touring rig. It’s been an incredible project, but a new contract is taking me out of state for work and I sadly won’t have the time to keep giving it the level of attention she deserves. Here are some of the details for what’s been done:
– Completely gutted down to the frame;
– Frame repaired and reinforced by a certified welder;
– Axles replaced with two brand new Dexter axles, rated at 5,000 lbs each ($900+ for the axles alone);
– Stabilizer jacks installed to welded on supports (each rated at 5,000 lbs);
– Trailer jack replaced;
– All internals cleaned and resealed;
– Replaced two exterior skin panels
– Leaking rivots replaced and roof structure reinforced;
– Fantastic Fans and AC unit installed (~$900 in parts);
– Brake lights and housings refurbished and replaced;
– Heavy cut buffing completed on exterior;
– Original trims and insignia fully re-furbished or in good condition;
– Towing lights replaced and upgraded;
– New electric over hydraulic disc brakes installed (~$1,000 in parts);
– All wiring necessary for towing installed and functional;
– Three new custom sub-floor water tanks installed and plumbed (two fresh, one grey or black) (~$800 in parts);
– Water tank heat pads and tank level sensors installed (~$600 in parts);
– Sub floor insulated with four inches of rigid insulation (several hundred dollars in materials);
– Sub floor wiring conduit, gas lines, and plumbing installed;
– Brand new sub-floor installed;
Additional parts purchased include: components to replace all window seals and mechanisms; parts necessary to build replacement hatch doors; hundreds of feet of necessary wire; rivots and buck rivot tools; difficult to source shower pan and stainless steel for shower walls; on-demand water heater; water pump; all internal aluminum skins and fiberglass panels; and the original Airstream wheels in excellent condition as well as temporary wheels currently installed. There are several bins and boxes of additional miscellaneous parts and fixtures that have been purchased for this trailer that will also be included.
This trailer is beautiful and will be better than any brand new trailer when she’s finished. Several hundred hours of work have gone into making it stronger and more self-reliant than any production trailers out there. The structural work is done, so now it’s ready to get to all of the really fun stuff and finish it off.
Also purchased for this trailer, and included in the package are:
– Brand new Nature’s Head composting toilet – $900
– Brand new premium solar package (Go! Power Solar Extreme package with additional solar panel for 620 Watt capacity and various connections and wiring) – $5,00
— http://gpelectric.com/products/solar-extreme + additional solar panel
This trailer has been designed to operate completely free of hook-ups aside from filling the water tanks. If you’d like to build it out to a more traditional hook-up based trailer, the groundwork is already in place.
The trailer and components are currently stored in Olympia, WA. It’s structurally sounds and ready for a new set of hands to finish it up.
Other Similar Ad Listings
Using The Classifieds
Buying or selling an Airstream? We can help. The AIR classifieds are free and offered as a membership benefit. Any AIR member may post an ad at no cost. Our c...
If you are using our classifieds to buyer please take a moment to read this article for Tips, FAQs and other resources to assist your shopping experience.Tips f...
Tips for Sellers: Prepare your rig for sale. Clean it, take photos, locate all the paperwork and set a price. AIR is not an auction site (like e-bay) but r...