- Year: 1957
- Make: Airstream
- Model: Caravanner
- Length: 22
- Condition: Excellent
- Country: United States
- State or Province: Maryland
- City: Salisbury
- Zip/Postal Code: 21804
- Type of Sale: Private Seller (Individual)
- Listed: June 28, 2017 7:33 pm
- Expires: 6 days, 4 hours
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: fred57
- Member Since: June 27, 2017
Other items listed by fred57
- No other ads by this poster found.
A gorgeous, fully-restored 1957 Airstream Caravanner: 22-feet long with the desirable 13-panel end caps. The recent restoration was completed during the winter 2014-2015 at Frank’s Trailer Works in Baltimore (http://frankstrailerworksblog.blogspot.com/2014/.) This is one of the most stylish Airstreams created, with an open floor plan and a full bank of windows on the street side. It is functional while retaining comfort, well-built and very smart.
Unrestored, similar trailer just sold on eBay for $21, 665. http://bit.ly/57ebay21665.
The shell was fully removed, and the frame repaired and sprayed with POR 15 coating. The subfloor is new, and the main floor has been replaced with waterproof Marmoleum. The axle was refurbished, the brakes and tires having been replaced with new ones.
The 12V- and 110V-system was replaced and rewired and a new inverter added. The pre-existing, fiberglass insulation was replaced with two layers of reflective insulation. Pex plumbing was integrated throughout, and an instant-hot water heater was installed. A new toilet was also added to the bathroom.
The countertops are custom-made stainless steel, and the kitchen faucet is new. The fridge is a newer, Dometic 3-way (electric, gas or battery) with a customized front. The gas oven and stove are original but were refurbished in the restoration.
All the original Birch wood was sanded and refinished by hand. Between the closet and the stylish dresser, there is ample storage space available. Drawers are also available under the front couch and bed.
The couch, which can pull out to sleep two, has been reupholstered. The double mattress was replaced with memory foam in 2014.
The custom curtains are lined. The windows and frames were all removed and restored, with new gaskets and rivets. All screens were replaced.
Several layers of paint were removed from the interior, and it was resprayed with durable Zolatone Polymx. The original interior was sprayed with the same.
The Airstream has two original aluminum vents and a newer Fantastic fan. It also comes with a window AC unit that can be placed at either end. Plus, it includes the original gas heater, which was restored (and is a feature highly sought after for trailer restorations).
This is a light Airstream trailer. When built, it had a listed dry weight of 2450 pounds. It probably weighs less since the original water heater was removed and many of the heavier parts were replaced. Many SUVs and light trucks can comfortably tow it, making this particular trailer in high demand. Driving a 2014 Toyota Tacoma V6 with tow package, it was virtually effortless to transport in the mountains or inclement weather.
The two aluminum propane tanks were recertified in June 2015.
This vintage Airstream is like no other and, with proper care, should last for at least another 60 years. Not all minor, decorative items in the photos are included, but most of the kitchenware, bedding and such will remain as will the removable custom awning, made with premium Sunbrella fabric, bought in 2015.
The airstream is fully titled and tagged in Maryland. Willing to work out transportation options.
• A 22-foot 1957 Airstream Caravanner trailer.
• Fully restored from October 2014 to June 2015 by Frank’s Trailer Works in Baltimore, MD.
• Interior and aluminum skins completely removed; shell lifted and belly pan removed so frame could be repaired and sprayed with POR15.
• New subfloor.
• Waterproof Marmoleum flooring throughout.
• Original interior with Birch cabinetry has been sanded and refinished.
• Reupholstered original sofa. Folds out to a double bed. (Trailer sleeps 4 total)
• Double mattress replaced with memory foam.
• Bathroom has new toilet.
• All plumbing replaced with Pex.
• Instant hot water heater added in 2014.
• Original porcelain sink and new faucet.
• 12V- and 110V-electrical replaced, new inverter added.
• Dometic refrigerator runs off electric, gas and 12V.
• All lights updated or replaced with LED.
• New single rims powdercoated and painted with pinstripes.
• New tires.
• Replaced belly pan.
• Fully insulated with two layers of reflective insulation.
• Windows removed and refurbished with new gaskets and rivets.
• Screens replaced throughout.
• Two original aluminum vents and newer Fantastic fan.
• Window AC unit included, can be placed in front or rear windows.
• New gas lines; aluminum propane tanked recertified in June 2015
• Professionally polished in February 2016 by Nomad Mobile Motor Lodge in Temple Hills, MD.
Other Similar Ad Listings
Using The Classifieds
Buying or selling an Airstream? We can help. The AIR classifieds are free and offered as a membership benefit. Any AIR member may post an ad at no cost. Our c...
If you are using our classifieds to buyer please take a moment to read this article for Tips, FAQs and other resources to assist your shopping experience.Tips f...
Tips for Sellers: Prepare your rig for sale. Clean it, take photos, locate all the paperwork and set a price. AIR is not an auction site (like e-bay) but r...