- Year: 1951
- Make: Airstream
- Model: Cruisette
- Length: 15
- Condition: Excellent
- Country: United States
- State or Province: Texas
- City: Carrollton
- Zip/Postal Code: 75007
- Type of Sale: Private Seller (Individual)
- Phone (Optional): 214-504-8703
- Listed: January 14, 2017 3:51 pm
- Expires: This ad has expired
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: txnsweeper
- Member Since: February 10, 2015
Other items listed by txnsweeper
Rare Collectible: At 14’8” overall (13’ cabin) and weighing only 1420 pounds, the Cruisette is the smallest Airstream ever made. Cruisette 8023 was the 23rd ever built out of 75 total that were made. With only a handful known to currently exist, this is one of the rarest of all airstreams. With a most beautiful restoration coupled with added custom features and upgrades make this an extremely unique and one-of-a-kind collectible. You are guaranteed to be the main attraction wherever you go. The collectability and quality of this very rare and totally unique Airstream virtually assures that #23 will continue to increase in value.
All restoration work was done by Craftsmen of the highest standard, but were also chosen due to their personal pride in delivering a work like no other. No expense was spared and attention to the smallest of details is evidenced throughout. With 1/8” birch wood lining the entire cabin area, the workmanship is breathtaking from the rounded endcap heads to the rounded corners on all the cabinets, drawers and closet doors which only a master craftsman could deliver. The polished original exterior panels gives added character to this 65 year old collectible. State-of-the-art electrical and mechanical upgrades make this a better than new trailer while maintaining all the vintage features. Many of the custom features will not be found on any other camper. Even non-Airstreamers will be jealous!
#23 is finished with a 2 tone color scheme of aqua and satin black popular with the period, with the exception of dark green rippled glass cabinet doors which are also back-lit for added ambiance.
The layout was kept mostly original but allows for maximum balance of space usage and yet incorporates needed convenience items, such as hiding the toilet in a storage area with a slide-out for ease of access.
Behind the well-crafted paneling, is a high tech maze of wiring – control panels for AC power, 12-volt, DC power, monster cables for video and audio prewired for satellite hookup, LED lighting, awesome surround sound speakers, as well as USB ports throughout.
CUSTOM FEATURES added:
• Built-in wine cooler and wine glass rack – never be caught without again.
• Automatic icemaker for the non-wine guys & gals
• Bed with tempurpedic memory foam mattress custom fitted – sleeps as well as a 4 star hotel
• Overhead canned LED lights in ceiling offers bright night time lighting or just use the period sconce lights for ambiance while sipping an evening wine. All light bulbs are LED throughout
• Custom wood blinds
• Slide-out spice rack – impress your friends with a gourmet meal
• Built-in Microwave – for the non-chefs
• Double radiant-barrier insulation added between shell and inner lining for higher efficiency
• LED light at entrance step to see footing at night
• Awning rack with aqua/white awning
• Self-closing drawers, do not need to be latched for travel either.
• Storage closet doors all have hydraulic shocks – to stay open.
• Unique green rippled glass panel cabinet “covers” add striking beauty with backlights on at nite
• Lights in all cabinets, rear storage compartment and above exterior water & electrical plug-ins
• Automatic lights in storage cabinets – come on when door opens
• Surround sound audio – whether rock-n-roll, country or jazz will blow you away
• Built-in stereo, DVD, hide-away 22” wide screen TV and swing arm that can be viewed from the bed in rear or the front dinette. – Satellite Ready – or comes with antenna to catch local station
• Plug-ins for outside hookup of wide screen video and/or stereo speakers – get your party on!
• 1350 BTU AC unit – matt black with low profile supplements the beautiful shape of trailer
• Custom fitted Shorewood exterior plumbing & electrical connections – oh so nice they are
• Flexibility to use either water tank or city water hookup
• Stereo with MP3/iPad jacks to use Sirius, Pandora, etc. Can connect outside speakers also.
• Auto “switch-over” valve that opens 2nd propane tank when 1st one empties
• Front hitch replaced with modern bulldog locking version with self-jacking handle and roller wheel. Trailer can be easily moved/rolled around by hand
• Professionally made cushions of 2-tone aqua/white naugahyde popular with the period
• Custom made comforter and pillows made to match cushions and aqua theme
Original areas restored and/or Upgraded:
• Underbelly reworked and completely sealed
• New 10 gallon water tank with all new plumbing, valves, & custom fittings
• All plumbing, mechanical and electrical new throughout
• All new axle, marine grade flooring, electric brakes, wheel bearings, heavy-duty trailer tires.
• New laminate countertops & sink – consistent with the mid-century period
• New electric fridge w/freezer – Powdercoated aqua to match original look
• TV/DVD can be operated from either 110 volt hookup or off of 12 volt battery
• Revised storage with special access panels to fully utilize space under bed and bench seats
• Dirty clothes hamper storage
• New custom gas stove top with Stainless Steel cover
• New battery to use while dry camping. Space-saving battery slides for easy access and removal
• New master fuse panel – easily accessible with added light for night time
• Powder coated propane tank holders and matching aqua wheels, chrome baby moon caps
• Wired for power brakes with new multiflex cable connector
• Spare tire – small, lightweight, space-saving / New leveling jacks
• Window seals and grommets replaced throughout
• Exterior vintage porch light restored. New switch panel installed just inside door entry
• New retro-looking VCT flooring: 2 tone aqua/white and small sized for period look
• Exterior panels professionally polished – Maintained minor pitting to leave original authenticity. Could have replaced with new but then it would not have maintained original character
• Oh, and of course, dinette folds down to sleep 4 people but you knew that already!
• O & M manuals included for all the new high-tech gadgets including the wine cooler
• Dare we say this trailer is better than when first made?! Even Wally would be pleased!
Numerous Collectible Props Available:
Original 1951 California license plate 1930’s Jukebox table selector
1950’s Hamilton Beach Milkshake Mixer 1914 Frye Fire Extinguisher
Magazines – Road & Track 1st issue 1947 Newsweek 1st issue Feb 17, 1933
Esquire – May 1949 Watkins Glen Grand Prix – Sept 19, 1952
1930 Camera 1950’s era martini glasses with mixer
Vintage bar stool / Vintage Schwinn bike Route 66 memorabilia
Vintage Curtis-Wright model airplane 1930 Seagram’s Bourbon
Other Similar Ad Listings
Using The Classifieds
Buying or selling an Airstream? We can help. The AIR classifieds are free and offered as a membership benefit. Any AIR member may post an ad at no cost. Our c...
If you are using our classifieds to buyer please take a moment to read this article for Tips, FAQs and other resources to assist your shopping experience.Tips f...
Tips for Sellers: Prepare your rig for sale. Clean it, take photos, locate all the paperwork and set a price. AIR is not an auction site (like e-bay) but r...